Monday, February 5, 2007

Mi familia nicaraguense

Buenas! I am writing from my families laptop as our dog junior barks and my 16 yr old sister watches tv. My family is fantastic, 2 brothers and one sister. My brother Fernando is 18 going on 19 (a may baby like me) and swims for the Nicaraguan national swimming team and has been to the olympics for swimming. He is also studying to be an engineer. My 17 year old brother Kevin is also known in la Colonia Maximo Jerez as Baby Shaq. He is HUGE and plays basketball and is the jokster of the family and an overall hilarious human being. My sister Josefine is 16 and kind of shy but really nice and loves to dance so hopefully she will take me out dancing. My mom is youngish and works for an NGO that promotes the rights of children who do not have families. My father I met for a total of 1 minute as he is only here in Managua on weekends adn is in Leon for the rest of the time. I don{t know what he does...Last night I watched the superbowl with my brothers and mom and some random people who were here at the house. I was going for the bears and they were all about the colts which was cause for some fun arguments and conversation as it can be a bit awkward. They are also Red Sox fans...so there is that difference too. All of Nicaragua prefers the Red Sox though bc they are the underdogs. My house is great except we only have running water here in Maximo from 2am to 7am so if I don{t want to bucket shower it I have to wake up early like my two brothers who despise bucket showers. I really dont mind all that much.


Today was the first day of spanish classes which was fun but really tiring. I have a feeling one of these days I will get lost walking to the UCA (university) but I think I will be fine if I have someone with me and my mini map. It is fun speaking a lot of spanish all the time and I really hope my construction of sentences improves. We have some students from teh university who come chat with us for an hour 2 days a week over lunch which is really nice. The girl I have as my paid friend as we call them is really sweet and engaging. This week is the week of poetry in Nicaragua and on Thursday we are going to Granada to listen to some poets and wander around and I think we will get to meet some of hte famous poets as well. Nicaragua is a country full of poets.


Anyway, I need to get bakc to reading poetry for class and waiting for my mom to get home to figure out dinner. Hope everyone is fantastic and having fun in the cold!

2 comments:

elizabeth krasner said...

woot. it's 11 degrees here. i hate you.

Giti said...

ah, molly, so jealous i am. will speak i order of out. okay maybe not. your superbowl sunday sounds so fun. i am jealous of your host mother already - i'm usually the one to figure out dinner with you! booooooo