Monday, April 30, 2007

Casi el fin

My time on the Caribbean Coast is coming to an end. I head back to Managua this afternoon by plane this time to finish up some research and interviews and of course continue the writing of this ISP. I have met some amazing people in Bluefields and Puerto Cabezas. Port, as it is commonly known, is a 45 minute plane ride up the coast from Bluefields close to the boarder of Honduras. It is much smaller than Bluefields...or at least not as city like. THere are only about 3 main cobblestone roads and the rest are a red dirt giving th ewhole place a warm glow. It unfortunately rained a bunch (the rains are coming earlier this year) so I wasn´t able to check out any of the beaches. The majority of the people there are Mestizo (pacific coasteans) and Miskito, one of the 3 indigenous groups of the coast and the one with the most population. I went to Port to learn more about MIskito culture, identity and how autonomy effects them. I had about 10 interviews over 3 days and a mountain of information and opinions to sift through. It was nice to come back to Bluefields because I don´t stand out quite as much and therefore feel much safer. I am also excited to go back to Managua to spend more time with my host family and the comfort of my own bed and bucket baths....I mean, I will miss the luxury of the trickle showers I have here in Bluefields. It´s both exciting and sad that this trip is nearing its end. Sad because I would like to spend more time with my family here and travelling around without thinking about school work or having a focus. But exciting because when I get back to the states it will be summer. And I know that I will be coming abck to visit here as soon as possible so it´s not like I am leaving forever...I now have family here. I will try to get in one more blog entry upon my return...probably to procrastinate typing the 25 page paper....

3 comments:

Giti said...

only one more? i protest. mas! mas!

Anonymous said...

i hope the writing is going well and that to prevent melting in the heat you found an air conditioned cyber. i can't wait to hear all of your nica stories in person when you get home. besos!

Anonymous said...

it just occurred to me that we could take a trip back to nicaragua together some day! that makes me so happy!!